Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Isaiah Cox ~~~ Pioneer of the Month ~~~ November 1, 2022

 


One of Mt. Pleasant's First

Sitting in our northeast room of the Relic House is a picture of Isaiah Cox.
We honor Isiah as the first pioneer baby born in Mt. Pleasant.

Isiah Cox
First Born Pioneer Child In Mt. Pleasant 

~~~~~~~~

1894 Lookout Mountain

1894/7: Elders at Lookout Mountain - Southern States Mission (6 July 1894)


~~~~
Isaiah was the son of Isaiah Cox Sr. 
Isaiah Cox Sr. 
A History of Isaiah Cox Sr. will be posted tomorrow. 
~~~~~~~~



~~~~~~~~~~~~
Abigail and Mary Ann Were Sisters 



McMullin, Abigail


 

Abigail McMullin by Clesta Worthen Adams


Abigail McMullin was born in Payson, Utah County, Utah, 12 November 1861. Daughter of Willard Glover McMullin and Mary Ann Holmes. In December 1862 she moved with her parents, who had been called to colonize the cotton mission, to Harrisburg, Wash Co., Utah. Her father died on 18 Oct 1884. Her mother continued to live in Harrisburg for several years and then moved to Leeds, Wash. Co. She married Isaiah Cox, Jr., on 15 November 1882. They were the parent of eight children: Walter McMullin Cox, born 11 Aug 1883, at Leeds, Washington, Utah Mary Ann Cox, born 23 Jan 1885, at Harrisburg, Wash., Utah Willard Glover Cox, born 13 Feb 1887 at Harrisburg, Wash., Utah Abbie Cox, born 1 June 1888, at Harrisburg, Wash., Utah Wilford Fenton Cox, born 10 Aug 1890, at Harrisburg, Wash., Utah Lawrence Janes Cox born 4 March 1893 at Harrisburg, Wash., Utah Elson Holmes Cox, born 15 Oct 1896, at St. George, Wash., Utah Henrietta Cox, born 12 Apr 1900, at St. George, Wash., Utah 13 Abigail died of consumption 28 March 1904, at the very young age of 43. Mary Ann Cox had just turned nineteen at the time and took over in the home with much of the responsibility of caring for the younger children until her marriage later in the year. At that time she took Henrietta (Etta) with her for several years. (I am Clesta Worthen, daughter of Mary Ann Cox, and these are some of the things I remember that my mother told me. ) She said her mother, Abigail McMullin, was a very small woman, good at handling her children. During her final illness, she seemed to realize the danger of her disease infecting her family and instructed the older children to dig a deep hole away from the house and dispose of the waste that she coughed up by burying it in the hole and covering it with a layer of dirt each time. Just before she died she called her family around her and sat up in bed and appeared to be looking into the future as she recited a poem about the future of her family. The poem was not recorded, but my mother recalled that it told of some of her sons going to foreign lands, which two of them did. Wilford and Lawrence fought in France in World War I. The poem was very unusual, as she was not a poet - just seemed to be inspired at that time. In My 1976 I wrote to Aunt Abbie Moore to see if she remembered any of the poems her mother recited before she died. This is all she could remember: Children of Earth remember me While on this land or on the sea There is no better friend to thee Than Father, Mother, and God, these three.

~~~~~~~~~

Isaiah  Cox Jr. and Anne Middleton 


~

Cox, Isaiah Jr.

 

MEMORIES OF MY GRANDFATHER, ISAIAH COX, JR.

by Clesta Worthen Adams

I was around ten years old when Grandpa Cox and Aunt Anna moved to St.George. They had been living in the Moapa Valley, Nevada. I recall him talking about raising cantaloupes.

He said the ground got so it didn't produce well - got too hard - so he had the bright idea of plowing straw into the ground, and it produced much better.

 He and Aunt Anna built a new home in St. George, in the northwest part of town, and my father and mother built next door to them. Grandpa had an old threshing machine in his yard. He puttered around it a lot, hoping to invent something better. He had a large Asparagus patch in his yard and walked with his crop to Warren Cox's hotel. He liked to sit on his front porch and read the scriptures. While married to his first wife, Abigail McMullin, he was called on a mission to the Southern states, and his family had a real struggle while he was away. My mother told me how little food they had. She was the oldest girl. He got sick and had to return home. I remember when Mt. Pleasant had some big celebration, they asked him to come because he was the first white child born in that town. I have the large photograph that was taken of him at that time.   Grandpa was a tall slender man with dark hair (originally).

I thought he was very nice-looking. He had a hearty laugh, and I loved him. Apparently, he was quite a step dancer in his day. Once in a while, we could talk him into dancing a bit for us. He danced only with his feet - no arm movements at all - and he sort of stayed more or less in the same spot. We liked to watch him. He lived long enough to have a five-generation picture taken.  


Isaiah Cox, Jr. was born 5 June 1859 at Mount Pleasant, Sanpete Co. Utah blessed 29 Apr 1860 by James N. Jones Baptized 3 Oct 1867 by Daniel D. McArthur, Confirmed by the same man Endowed 15 Mar 1877 Ordained and elder 15 Mar 1877 by his father

Married 15 Nov 1882 to Abigail McMullin in St. George Temple (She died 28 Mar 1904)

 ~~~~~~~~~~

Married Anna Elizabeth Middleton 8 Feb 1912


The first home I lived in was a rental at 364 W 200 N in St. George, Utah. I was brought there as a newborn infant and lived there for a few years. I don't remember living there but the couple living next door at 398 W 200 N became friends of our family for life. They were Isaiah and Annie Cox, better known to us as Grandpa and Aunt Annie. Isaiah had been married before and had children, that is why we called him grandpa. Aunt Annie married later in life and had no children. She sure knew how to spoil children though. Even after our family moved to another part of St. George, our family kept in close touch. My mother wrote this in her personal history: When Darrell was two, a baby girl was born to us. We named her Mary Anne. Our next door neighbor, Aunt Annie Cox, fell in love with Darrell when he was five months old. She came to be such a special person in our lives. After Darrell learned to walk good, he would go over to Aunt Annie's every day. She made all his clothes. She played so many games with him. Any time he broke a toy, he would say, "No matter, Annie will fix it!' Grandpa Cox was sort of partial to Mary Anne. She always kissed him on the forehead where he didn't have whiskers. Grandpa Cox blessed Mary Anne when she was two months old. Darrell called himself Grandpa's 'feetheart' and Annie's 'pet'. Mary Anne continues. I remember going to Aunt Annie's home often to visit after I grew older and we had moved to another neighborhood. My love for sugar sandwiches came from Aunt Annie. White bread spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar, then folded in half, is still a delicious favorite treat! Every time I eat a sugar sandwich, I think of Aunt Annie. ( It doesn't taste the same on whole wheat bread.) One winter night, in the mid 1950's, my favorite cousin, Linda, and I slept over at Cox's. The bedroom was not heated so we slept with heated bricks wrapped in blankets to keep our feet warm. This was a unique experience for both of us, one we had heard about but thought only happened in our parents day. Our breakfast was cooked on a wood stove before we woke up. In the warming oven at the top of the stove were bowls of piping hot cereal, fried eggs, bacon and white toast. We felt like royalty being served the finest breakfast ever. I ate breakfast with Aunt Annie many times after that! My mother had a modern electric stove so the warming oven was so quaint - as were the hot bricks to sleep with. My first taste of asparagus was at Aunt Annie's. I didn't like it, but I enjoyed picking it for her out of a large patch in her back yard. I treasure a small crocheted multicolored purse Aunt Annie made for me and a glass dog figurine that she gave me because I liked it. Aunt Annie and Grandpa loved us and we loved them.



Five Generations
Isaiah Cox Mary Ann Cox Worthen
William G. Worthen 
Richard G. Worthen
Margaret Worthen Terry



 

A gathering of early settlers outside the St George Tabernacle circa 1907


 


~~~~~~~~



Isaiah Cox Jr. and Annie Middleton 

   My mother wrote this in her personal history: When Darrell was two, a baby girl was born to us. We named her Mary Anne. Our next-door neighbor, Aunt Annie Cox, fell in love with Darrell when he was five months old. She came to be such a special person in our lives. After Darrell learned to walk good, he would go over to Aunt Annie's every day. She made all his clothes. She played so many games with him. Any time he broke a toy, he would say, "No matter, Annie will fix it!' Grandpa Cox was sort of partial to Mary Anne. She always kissed him on the forehead where he didn't have whiskers. Grandpa Cox blessed Mary Anne when she was two months old. Darrell called himself Grandpa's 'feetheart' and Annie's 'pet'. Mary Anne continues. I remember going to Aunt Annie's home often to visit after I grew older and we had moved to another neighborhood. My love for sugar sandwiches came from Aunt Annie. White bread spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar, then folded in half, is still a delicious favorite treat! Every time I eat a sugar sandwich, I think of Aunt Annie. ( It doesn't taste the same on whole wheat bread.) One winter night, in the mid-1950's, my favorite cousin, Linda, and I slept over at Cox's. The bedroom was not heated so we slept with heated bricks wrapped in blankets to keep our feet warm. This was a unique experience for both of us, one we had heard about but thought only happened on our parent's day. Our breakfast was cooked on a wood stove before we woke up. In the warming oven at the top of the stove were bowls of piping hot cereal, fried eggs, bacon, and white toast. We felt like royalty being served the finest breakfast ever. I ate breakfast with Aunt Annie many times after that! My mother had a modern electric stove so the warming oven was so quaint - as were the hot bricks to sleep with. My first taste of asparagus was at Aunt Annie's. I didn't like it, but I enjoyed picking it for her out of a large patch in her backyard. I treasure a small crocheted multicolored purse Aunt Annie made for me and a glass dog figurine that she gave me because I liked it. Aunt Annie and Grandpa loved us and we loved them.








No comments:

Post a Comment